- We don't spam. Period. (When we do and don't send emails)
- What information we collect and for what purpose
- Third parties (Cookies and web beacons)
- Disclosure of data
- Data storage
- Security measures
- Control over your data
We don't spam. Period. (When we do and don't send emails)
We won't email you unless you’ve expressively indicated you want us to. Nor will we sell, share or rent your email address to/with third parties. We will only email you in one of the following cases:
- You use the password recovery option, where we will email you instructions on how to reset your password.
- You activated the optional feature to receive a periodical newsletter by email. Please note: You can always de-activate this feature by unsubscribing. Each newsletter contains an unsubscribe link at the bottom.
- You used one of our contact forms because you have a question or want to provide feedback to us. In those cases we can email you in reply to your request.
- You used one of our contact forms to contact a tour operator or accommodation to enquire for a booking or a general question. In those cases the tour operator or accommodation can email you in reply to your request.
- If we believe it is very vital to contact you and share certain information, we may decide to email you. We will only do so in extraordinary cases like, for example, when the site or the company holding your personal information is sold and a new owner will govern and safeguard your personal information. Commercial messages or advertising are not considered vital, so we will never use this as an excuse to send spam.
What information we collect and for what purpose
We keep the amount of personal information we collect to an absolute minimum and only collect it if strictly necessary. We collect the following information:
- Submitting user reviews
Upon submitting a user review, we will ask you to provide a screen name (which can be your real or fictional name) and the option to provide more info about yourself such as your gender, age, safari experience level, country of residence, photos of your safari and an email address in case you are open to other website users emailing you should they have a question about your review. All this info will be publicly visible, except for your email address. When other users want to email you, they get a contact form that doesn't reveal your email address. In addition, every email that is sent to you using this contact form contains an unsubscribe option in case you no longer want other users to be able to email you.
- Email forms to contact tour operators and/or accommodations
You could decide to use an email form on SafariBookings.com to contact a tour operator or accommodation should you wish to enquire about a booking or have a general question. These emails, including your email address, will be sent directly to the tour operator or accommodation with a copy to us, which will be stored in our email inboxes and database.
- Email forms to contact us, SafariBookings
You could decide to contact us using one of our email forms. These emails will be stored in our email inboxes and databases. We can use the email address or other contact information to get back to you in response to your request.
- Message boards (Registration, Profile and Messages)
You may decide to become part of our site's community by creating an account for our message boards. In that case, you will most likely submit personal information with the intent to share it with the community.
If you use an email address and password for registering, they will be stored by us to enable you to sign in and gain access to the features of the message boards that are only available to registered members (e.g. start a topic, write a reply). Your email address is stored as plain text and your password is stored encrypted in a way nobody, including us, can access it.
Profile and messages
Any information you add to your profile and/or messages (e.g. topics, posts, replies) will be publicly visible and/or shared with the other members of the community. We recommend you don't share personally identifiable information about yourself, such as: your full name, address, personal photo/s or email address; but if you do decide to do so anyway, it's your own responsibility.
If you use one of the email forms to contact us, SafariBookings, we will collect non-personally identifiable computer information, such as: the type of browser you are using (e.g. Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google Chrome), the type of operating system you are using (e.g. Windows, Mac OS), the screen or window resolution of your monitor and device type (e.g. PC, iPhone, iPad). We collect this information since these email forms are frequently used to report a technical problem with the site and this information helps us greatly to reproduce the problem and find a solution.
User Generated content
User generated content ("user content") is information provided by our users with an intent to be used on our website (e.g. a user review or post in our boards). You, as our user, are responsible for all user content that you submit, post, or otherwise make available to or through our website. We don't claim ownership of user content, but by submitting, posting or otherwise making available to or through our website, you automatically grant us the right to use your user content in any way we desire. This includes the non-exclusive, perpetual, transferable, irrevocable right, with the right of sublicensing and without any royalty or compensation in return, to use, reproduce, adjust, translate, distribute, publish, create derivate works, to disclose and duplicate the content in all now known media en future media. You agree we can decide if and how your user content is credited and you also agree the user content provided may be indexed by search engines such as Google. You also grant us, and any third party appointed by us, the right to take (legal) actions as it deems necessary for the protection of the (copy)rights of your user content, including, but not by way of limitation, to take (legal) action in the name and on behalf of you.
About children under the age of 13
Our website is not intended for children under the age of 13. We don't knowingly collect personally identifiable information from visitors in this age group. If we learn that we have collected personal information from a child under the age of 13, we will delete that information as quickly as possible. If you believe that we might have any information from a child under age 13, please contact us by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Log file data
As with the majority of web sites you visit, our site and servers employ log files. These log files record non-personally identifiable data, with the exception of IP addresses which could be considered personally identifiable in some cases, but is anonymous in most. The log file data is used to provide insight in the way our site is being used and, if errors occur, log files provide extra insight in what caused the errors and how to fix them.
Cookies and web beacons (that our site employs)
Cookies are text files stored at your computer for authenticating, session tracking (state maintenance) and maintaining specific information about the use and users of our website (such as site preferences or whether a user already wrote a review about a certain subject). Cookie files may also be placed at your computer by our trusted third party companies. For more detailed information please read the third party section further in this document. For more information about (the use and decline of) cookies, please visit: www.allaboutcookies.org
Web beacon consists of a small string of software code that represents a graphic image request on a web page or email. There may or may not be a visible graphic image associated with the web beacon and often the image is designed to blend into the background of a web page or email. Web beacons can be used for many purposes, including: site traffic reporting, unique visitor counts, advertising auditing and reporting and personalization.
Our site uses the following cookies and/or web beacons:
- We use a cookie to store your preferences for the currency in which you want to display the rates shown.
- We use a cookie when you write a review to check if you have previously written reviews.
- We use a cookie to store your preference for how you want to sort site content such as lists of tours, operators, accommodations and reviews.
Third parties (Cookies and web beacons)
We allow certain partners to include cookies and/or web beacons within our pages or share portions of our log file data- including IP address- with these partners for analytics purposes. These partners aggregate information and then provide reports on how our website is being used.
We use JW Player to show videos on our website. This player uses a cookie to store your preferences for playing videos such as the volume of the audio or the quality in which to display the video.
Ad Networks, other Advertisers and other Third Parties
Some advertisements you see on our site are served by individual advertisers or other third parties, but most are served by ad networks. Most commonly, these are third party ad servers, ad agencies, technology vendors, providers of sponsored content, and research firms.
On our site we work with the following ad networks:
Third Party Websites
We have integrated components or functionality of the following third party websites:
Diclosure of data
We keep your personally identifiable information confidential and we generally do not disclose it. But, please note the following clarifications and exceptions:
- When you use an email form on SafariBookings to contact a tour operator or accommodation, we share your message and email address with them since that is the reason why you used the email form in the first place. These tour operators and accommodations can be located in countries outside of the European Union and their governments could have less strict privacy laws.
- Our employees, directors, officers, owners, affiliated companies and independent contractors have access to some of your personally identifiable information for the purpose of helping us run our business (and not for their own purposes). They access and use such data subject to our instructions and on a "need to know" basis.
- If we are in the process of selling our company, our site, or substantial parts of our business, you agree we may disclose and/or transfer your personally identifiable information as well as other information to the (potential) new owner so they can better value our business and, if sold, continue to operate the service this website provides. This will also be the case if the new owner is a non-EU company, organization or individual.
- We may also share your personally identifiable information to respond to law enforcement requests, court orders or any other legal process or if we believe that such disclosure is necessary to investigate, prevent or respond to illegal activities, fraud, and physical threats to you or others or as otherwise required by any applicable law or regulation.
Since the majority of our site users are from the United States, our web and database servers are hosted and located in the United States. And, since we develop and operate the site from the Netherlands, our local development servers are located in the Netherlands, Europe. All data, including personally identifiable information, will be stored on both locations and you agree we may transfer your data between these locations as we deem necessary and in our sole discretion. Our servers in the United States are hosted by Amazon Web Services ("AWS"). The European privacy laws allow us to transfer personal data between these locations because the AWS comply with the International Safe Harbor Privacy Principles.
We take strict security measures to protect personally identifiable information from loss, misuse, unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration or destruction. These measures include limiting the number of people who have physical access to our database servers as well as electronic security systems, data encryption and password protections, which guard against unauthorized access.
Control over your data
You always have the right to review the personal information you have stored with us. You can request your personal information by emailing us at: email@example.com.
Please state 'request personal information' in the subject line of your email.
If your personal information is incorrect, we will change it upon your request. You can also ask us to remove your personal information from our database by sending us an email to the same email address.
SafariBookings is the responsible party for the processing of the personal information. SafariBookings is a private limited liability company, incorporated under the laws of the Netherlands and has its offices at Veemarktkade 8, 5222 AE, 's-Hertogenbosch, the Netherlands, Europe.
The Dutch Data Protection Authority notification number is 1503031. For verification you can visit https://www.collegebeschermingpersoonsgegevens.nl/asp/ORSearch.asp and search for the notification number ('Meldingsnummer' in Dutch).
If you have any suggestions or remarks about this privacy statement, please send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.