Hwange National Park- Overview Hwange Safaris
About Hwange National Park
Hwange NP is the largest and most popular park in Zimbabwe. It offers excellent wildlife viewing and most big safari animals can be seen, including the Big Five. Hwange is most known for the impressive concentration of elephants that are attracted to the park's waterholes during the Dry season.
- Top wildlife viewing with all of the Big Five present
- Wide variety of animals
- Nightdrives and walking safaris are available at most camps
- Proximity to the popular Victoria Falls
- Accommodation options for all budgets
- Excellent park for self-drive and self-catering
- Most tourist facilities are in a small area which becomes crowded in high season
- Tarred roads and self-drive tourism takes away some of the wilderness appeal
With over 100 species present, Hwange has the widest variety of mammals of any National Park in the world. Its claim to fame is one of the largest elephant populations in the world. 20,000 to 75,000 individuals congregate around the waterholes toward the end of the Dry season. Predators, including all three of the big cats, are regularly spotted. The park has an impressive variety of antelopes, including some of the unusual species: sable antelope and greater kudu. The park is an important breeding ground for wild dogs.
More about Hwange's wildlife
The park is situated on the eastern edge of the vast Kalahari sands and scrublands. Habitats in the park include teak forest, thornveld and mopane woodland, with scattered dolomite hills in the northwest.Want to visit Hwange?
Safari Reviews- Hwange
All 36 user reviews